2/24/2007

WFB


The first thing that needs to be established by a Mariner fan is how she feels about one Willie Bloomquist, affectionately known as Willie F-ing Bloomquist (WFB) by the some in the Mariner community. Some fans think he’s great, some fans hate him. What’s his deal?

WFB is a utility player. He can play most positions on the field and he has speed, which means that he’s a useful fellow to keep on the bench in case someone gets hurt or you need a pinch runner. He doesn’t hit very well, however. Seems pretty straightforward, right? Well, sort of.

The fans that love Willie love him because he’s local and scrappy. They think he’s the best utility player in baseball. Some of them want him to be a starter.

The fans that hate him think that he gets too much money and too many at bats. The U.S.S . Mariner has this to say about WFB:

The problem is that what he offers the team could easily be replaced by any number of minor league players; that he gets so much irrational love from the team, the media and fans due to his local ties; and because of the dramatic divide between the playing time his skills merit and the playing time he actually gets/people want him to get.

That seems pretty reasonable to me.

Take a look at this article in The News Tribune. Mariners general manager Bill Bavasi calls Willie “an old-fashioned red-ass” (what does that EVEN MEAN?) and the article goes on to say he has “a rage to play.”

Bloomquist himself has a lot to say:

“I hate losing. I hate failing. Beat me today, and I’ll try to find a way to beat you tomorrow. I’ve had guys come to me and say I should settle down a little more.

That’s not how I’m made.”

‘If I’m going to be a utility player, then I’m going to be the best utility player, that’s how I look at the job. Every day, I take ground balls at one position or another. During batting practice, I play the outfield.

And every day, I try to find one way to beat you.”


Is he a jerk, or just fired up about his job? I think that's merely a matter of opinion. I think it's a fine attitude for a player to have.

Here's my official position. Willie’s an interesting fellow. Sometimes seeing him at the plate fills me with dread, but I like following his story. And I love it when he does succeed at the plate, not just because it helps the team, but because I think it's funny how uncomfortable it makes the people who don't care for him at all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would call him "lucky" to have been playing for the same team since 2002 without being an everyday player..it is pretty rare for a utility guy to stick around an organization for more than a few years..heck..even regulars don't seem to have that privilege any more..He does know how to steal bases tho..and the Mariners and Bloomquist seem to be a good match..I just hope that he can be a little more productive so everyone can be merry.